Welcome to Payette, Idaho
Located near where the Payette River and Snake River meet, the city was originally named Boomerang signifying a roundhouse on the railroad - the Oregon Short line. The city changed its name for François Payette, a French-Canadian fur trapper and later the head of the Fort Boise trading post for the British Hudson's Bay Company from 1835-1844. A large high-spirited man, he was highly regarded for his helpful assistance to the many travelers who came through the fort. After his retirement in 1844, Mr. Payette returned to Montreal, where the rest of his life falls into mystery.
Today the city of Payette is a small close-knit community of families, and is the county seat of Payette County. It offers residents and visitors a taste of small-town life steeped in history, with the convenience of a modern locale.
Payette County Fair
Nearby New Plymouth is home to the annual Payette County Fair, held at the Payette County Fairgrounds. There’s a little something for everyone at the fair including 4-H and FFA shows, Free Music, Raffles, Games, Contest, Demonstrations, and of course lots of great food to enjoy while you are there. The fair is a great way to bring the community and surrounding towns together for a fun time for all ages.
Payette County Museum
Located in an historic church with exceptional stained glass windows, the museum features historical exhibits of Payette County and its founders. The museum is also home to a one of a kind 1861 6-PDR Bronze Confederate Civil War Cannon barrel. The 1861 Bronze Confederate Civil War Cannon tube is a 6 pounder - which means it shot a 6 pound projectile. The cannon tube set in Payette's Central Park, across from the post office, for many years before it was given over to the museum in 2004 for safekeeping.
It is "one of the rarest surviving Civil War cannons among the 5559 known survivors in my files," according to Wayne E. Stark, cannon historian and expert.
The Grand Army of the Republic organization purchased the cannon for Payette in 1912 by soliciting money from the local citizens.
Ontario Golf Club
The 18-hole "Ontario" course at the Ontario Golf Club in Ontario, Oregon features 6,795 yards of golf from the longest tees for a par of 72. The course rating is 70.4 and it has a slope rating of 111. Designed by Bob E. Baldock, the Ontario golf course opened in 1964. Mark Copley manages the course as the Superintendent.
Country View Golf Course
The 9-hole "Country View" course at the Country View Golf Course in Ontario, Oregon features 5,660 yards of golf from the longest tees for a par of 71. The course rating is 66.4 and it has a slope rating of 104. Designed by Scott McKinney, the Country View golf course opened in 1999. Scott McKinney manages the course as the Owner/Manager/Superintendent.
Scotch Pines Golf Course
Scotch Pines is an 18-hole, par 72 course built in 1961. Artfully carved from the natural terrain of the Idaho countryside, Scotch Pines offers blue grass and rye fairways and bent grass greens. This beautiful course offers all the amenities you have come to expect from a great course, including it’s own restaurant where you can refuel after a long days play.
Rolling Hills Golf Course
Rolling Hills Golf Course in Weiser features a 9-hole course with 3,048 yards of golf from the longest tees for a par of 36 and a driving range. The course rating is 36.5 and it has a slope rating of 115. Originally designed by Frank James/Conrad Kranzler, the Rolling Hills golf course opened in 2001. Donna Walker manages the course as the General Manager.